Intentional. Holistic. Humane. Adaptive. These are the adjectives that best describe a feminine approach to personal career planning. It incorporates a world view that seeks to integrate (rather than separate) work and family priorities, and places control for career advancement firmly in the hands of the individual. Within this context, career control includes issues of timing, direction, awareness of personal worth, creative expression, and opportunity. This is a seminar designed for women, by women, to give you the confidence and skills necessary to advance in work settings reflective of today’s “new normal”: reactive, frequently understaffed, and highly dependent on the talent readiness of its workforce. We therefore provide the kind of career strategies that reflect this workplace reality and demonstrate ways to make it work for you. We also explore career issues unique to women professionals, such as pay disparity and promotional limitations, and offer “winnable” approaches for confronting gender career barriers. You will leave with a plan-in-place to accelerate your professional growth, as well as tried and tested tools necessary for executing your career plan. Come to this seminar prepared to ponder the following issues, which could make a tremendous difference in the quality of your life:
• Today’s’ highly volatile work environment creates ideal conditions for career advancement?
• You become clear about innate needs and career motivators previously hidden from sight?
• You learn the difference between “real” vs “apparent” life choices, and knowing this difference provides the direction you need to move forward?
• You are comfortable in conducting difficult conversations about your career, such as asking for a raise, asking for a transfer, or saying “no” to a request that limits your potential?
• The strategies you execute from taking this course yield exactly what you want?
You need to be here if:
1. You desire a two-day retreat specifically for you, not your organization, for mindful self-reflection.
2. You want to invest in the kind of work assignments that increase visibility, develop portable skills, and modify your thinking about work from a reactive to a creative orientation.
3. You are ready to shift from reliance on “luck” to drive your career, to reliance on intentional, self-directed, results-oriented thinking and action.
4. You would benefit from taking a personal assessment that provides clarity around right career fit and right career focus.
5. You embrace self-determination and individual choice as personal values, and genuinely want to advance in your career.
Please note: This is a foundational course, designed for early to mid-career women who have never been properly coached on self-directed career management competencies and strategies. It does not cover topics suitable for late career professionals contemplating retirement or individuals experiencing.
Vaughan brings 30 years of organizational change, leadership training, team building, and executive coaching experience to this retreat. She also brings the leadership experience of managing people to reach revenue goals and quality standards on time, within budget, in demand driven environments. Over the years, Vaughan developed a career consulting niche working with women scientists, engineers, and academic deans- all high performing contributors at major career/life transitions. As a result of this perspective, she embraces a philosophy that leadership starts with the ability to “know thyself”, leverage strengths, and embrace a creative (vs reactive) orientation to life.
Vaughan holds a Master of Science in Applied Behavioral Science from Johns Hopkins University, and teaches the Adaptive Leadership for Women course for the University of New Hampshire.