Q&A: Preparing New Supervisors at the “Supervisors Boot Camp: Skills for Success” with Dr. Gerri King

April 15, 2024

Gerri King, Ph.D., a former psychotherapist who worked with students, is a social psychologist and organizational consultant, who consults, trains, and speaks nationally and internationally to healthcare, corporate, industrial, educational, non-profit, and governmental clients throughout the US and abroad. Gerri will be a speaker at UNH Professional Development & Training’s upcoming Supervisors Boot Camp, where she’s presenting onChallenges Facing New Supervisors.” 

Q: Gerri, as a former psychotherapist who transitioned into organizational consulting, what inspired you to shift your focus?  

A: First of all, having been a therapist is extremely helpful. I’ve spoken to several organizational consultants who came from the business world and are struggling with emotion and conflict in the workplace. Therapeutic experience has been so valuable. 

While a therapist, I also taught at Antioch Graduate School and UNH when I was getting my doctorateI began being invited to facilitate for organizations in the public and private sectorsI enjoyed it a lot and the invitations increasedI’d planned to do bothHowever, because I was increasingly working throughout the country and abroad, I felt like I was burdening my Human Dynamics Associates partners by asking them to be on call for meThat is the main reason I transitioned to organizational consulting full time. 

I deliver trainings, deliver keynotes at conferences, facilitate staff and Boards of Directors, as well as strategic planning and mergers and acquisitionsThe most common requests are Leadership, Conflict Resolution, Managing Change, Facilitating the Multi-Generational Workforce, and Creating A Blame-free and Gossip-free EnvironmentMany other topics as well. 

Q: Could you share some insight into how your background in social psychology informs your approach to addressing challenges faced by new supervisors?  

A: People are promoted because they’re good at their jobsBeing a leader is an entirely different job for which practically no one trainedBoth new and seasoned supervisors continually to struggle with “people issues.”  Combining sociological and psychological expertise is essential.   

There was a survey of CEO’s asking them what business school they wanted their new graduates to attendMany respondents said, “We can teach them the business and skills requiredWe prefer sociology and psychology majors because communication and collaboration are essential when in a leadership position. 

Q: In your experience, what are some of the most significant challenges that new supervisors tend to raise, and how do you suggest addressing them?  

A: In addition to what I mentioned above, the Imposter Syndrome is very common: “I can’t believe I was promoted or they think I can do thisI never learned the skills needed to lead.”   

I once asked a Law School Dean if he expected all their graduates to remain at the entry level. He said, “Of course not.”  I responded, “Interesting, because you’re not offering them any leadership skills." 

Q: How do you approach training and development for new supervisors to ensure they have the necessary skills and knowledge for their role?   

A: We start by discussing what I’ve outlined above and exploring the areas that worry them most. Once they realize that they’re not alone, we can dive into the specifics and offer to help build the skills they feel they’re lacking. I start where they are and challenge them to share their concernsThey soon learn that they’re not alone. 

This is accomplished with a number of exercises and honest dialogue.  

Q: Could you share a success story or example of a new supervisor overcoming significant challenges in their role?   

A: Wow! Every honest new supervisor has owned up to challenges. When they return to further training or share specifically with me, the common theme is admitting their concerns was pivotal. Once shared, they vault toward increasing their expertise and learning to ask for help. 

Q: As the author of "The Duh! Book of Management and Supervision: Dispelling Common Leadership Myths," what are some prevalent myths about leadership that new supervisors should be aware of?  

A: I will begin here, the way I start every training session: “Take what makes sense. Throw out what doesn’tPut on the shelf what you want to take down some day.”  I’ve learned to trust the audienceI used to say a lot “This is my opinion.”  Of course it isI assume when they’re talking, it’s their opinion. 

Here are just a few of what I consider myths, and most people consider factsHowever, there are many, many more. 

1. Top Management Should Present A United Front.  Do we want to lie to employees and pretend we all agree or honesty tell them when we have a diversity of thoughtBy the way, parents are told to present a united front to their kids, as wellHow about if we honestly share when 2 parents don’t agree and tell the child that they have to work it out with the parent who is having the most difficulty? 

1. Conflict is about the issues being discussed.    Most conflict is not about the issues, but about how it’s being handled“You’re not listening to me” or “You always talk to me like that.” 

1. Your way is the best waySupervisors should ask if they need to do it their way or just get it doneIf it’s the latter, give the employee parameters and let them shine 

1. Only negative change is stressfulActually, positive change is just as stressful because with every gain, there is a lossEven if it’s just the familiarThere is always a tradeoff. 

1. Punishment and Reward hold people accountable.  Do we only want them doing the right thing if they get caughtIt doesn’t workWe need to educate them about the underlying values and reasons we’re asking them to do things a certain wayIf we can’t, maybe the rule doesn’t make sense. 

1. Everyone wants to be successful and defines that similarly.  My dissertation was on the Fear of Success, which I changed to Success Avoidance or Success SabotageIt is very connected to changing one’s identity.   

1. Decisions should be made at the top.  The people who do the work every day know how to solve the problemsWe should always ask who is missing from around the table. 

1. Communication is just about sharing information.   Actually, 65%-85% of communication is body language, not the words we say or writeThe problem is that we are the least knowledgeable about our own body language because when we're in front of a mirror, we’re brushing our teeth or combing our hairAnd…people read emails and texts in the mood they’re in, not in the mood it was sentPleaseIf there is any tension, STOP after 2 exchanges and converse with the person. It will not get better! 

Q: What advice would you give to aspiring supervisors who are looking to excel in their leadership journey 

A: Engage in as much leadership training as possible. Form a group of emerging leaders to gain support. Give your employees a gift and acknowledge what you don’t know and how they can help you. “Use” each other in the best sense of the word.   

Q: Finally, what do you find most rewarding about your work in helping new supervisors navigate the challenges they face, and what motivates you to continue in this field?  

A: I think I mentioned that I plan to semi-retire when I’m 102. I love what I do because I get to engage with fascinating people - at all levels of organizations- and, most importantly, I learn something every day. 

To learn more about the Supervisors Boot Camp, and to register, head to https://training.unh.edu/course/supervisors-boot-camp-skills-success. We hope to see you there! 

Author:
Emily Gore